Friday, April 6, 2012

5th April 2012 : Hellisheiði Power Station and Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant

Due to budget cuts NASA wound down the Space Shuttle program in 2011, for the present, at least, NASA astronauts, will be hitching a lift with other Space Programs – I point this out because, like NASA, I also have problems with transportation, I don’t drive and in Iceland the public transport system doesn't seem to be fully operational till about June. 




At the residency this morning, I was talking to Ishizuka Gentaro, a photographer from Japan. During his stay in Iceland he has been taking photographs of the networks of pipelines running through the countryside from Iceland’s Geothermal power plants. He had hired a car and was planning to photograph two sites, the power station at Hellisheiði and around the Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant. He offered to take me along with him, this was my first opportunity to get out of Reykjavik, I decided if lifts are good enough for NASA, then there good enough for me too.

It was a misty, rainy morning, as we travelled about 25km south west of Reykjavik towards Hellisheiði.



The pipelines from the geothermal plants snake through the hills and run for miles along the sides of the road. They are connected to these small metal geodesic dome structures that cover the boreholes. I took these photographs up in the hills overlooking the Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant.









No comments:

Post a Comment